Two Australian teams will compete in next year’s Hopman Cup when it starts at Perth Arena on January 3.
- Lleyton Hewitt’s final Hopman Cup in Perth following his decision to retire
- For first time in event’s history, Australia represented by two teams: Australia Green and Australia Gold
- State Government is a proud sponsor of Hopman Cup through Tourism WA
Welcoming the announcement, Tourism Minister Kim Hames said the new format of Lleyton Hewitt and Casey Dellacqua as Australia Gold and a yet-to-be-named Australia Green team was a great innovation for the event.
“Lleyton Hewitt has represented Australia at the Hopman Cup seven times and is a very popular player so I’m sure West Australians will be turning out in force to see him compete here for the final time,” Dr Hames said.
“The cup is a great opportunity for Perth fans to farewell a former world number one before he retires next year.”
Hopman Cup organisers also announced today that world number three and dual Grand Slam winner Andy Murray would again represent Great Britain with Heather Watson.
“In the tournament’s 27-year history, Great Britain has never won the Hopman Cup so it’s exciting that Murray and Watson will be back for another shot at the title,” Dr Hames said.
The Minister said he was proud that the State Government was a founding sponsor of the Hopman Cup, through Tourism WA.
“The State Government’s support started when the Hopman Cup began in 1989 and, thanks to a new agreement signed last year, the event has been secured for WA until 2022,” he said.
“Events like this form an important part of the State Government’s strategy to grow the value of tourism to $12 billion by 2020.”
More than 95,700 fans visited Perth Arena for Hopman Cup 2015, which featured nine top 20 players, including four top 10 players.
- Hopman Cup 2016 at Perth Arena from January 3-9, 2016
- Lleyton Hewitt will retire after the Australian Open 2016
- Tickets available from 9am October 21, 2015 from http://premier.ticketek.com.au/ single session tickets go on sale from 9am October 28, 2015
- For more information, visit http://www.hopmancup.com
Media contact: Natasha Mutch- 6552 5300 or 0428 144 010